Saturday, March 8, 2014

Labor & Delivery Story




I uploaded this video a month ago and after edit it I saw that theres a couple of things I missed and I thought it'd be great if I drafted a blog with a different point of view (more technical and more personal)
It's been 8 months since I had my baby but all the memories are as fresh as it happened yesterday!
It's true when people tells you that you can tell that you're going to labor a week before, you start to see a lot of physical and emotional changes in yourself and its kind of hard to expalin if you haven't been pregnant; Most of the energy, happines and what not are gone and you start feeling sore all the time. For me it wans't fun anymore (the last two weeks of my pregnancy) and all I wanted to do was to watch movies and eat all day.
My first symphtom of labor was kind of unexpected and I didn't knew it could happen (Even though I read a lot of books about labor and delivery during my pregnancy) One night I was having a really bad stomachache (I thought it was related with a chronical disease I suffer and not with labor) I took my medicines and it didn't go away, so called my OB and he told me to go to the hospital so he could check me out; One hour later he told me that I was 1cm dialated and the stomachache was part of early labor symphtoms but this could happen 1 week before real labor, So I was sent back home.
Later that day I lost my mucus plug and so the labor begun! One week of irregular contractions, some of them were strong, some of them were soft, sometimes they were short, sometimes they lasted longer than expected and it was unconfortable but not painful at all.
The day before I went to real labor I was feeling the same way I felt one week before but then again I never thought it was related with labor so I took my medicine and went with my family to the mall. A few hours later of walking and shopping I started to feel a little bit cramped so we went home; I was having the same back cramps you get with your period but this ones were stronger (I asked to be massaged a few times) also I was having a lot of pressure "down there". At 7pm my husband came from work and thats when I knew I was in real labor because at this time I was having contractions too and they were really strong.
For some reason the contractions stopped the next couple of hours but at 10pm they started all over again; My mom and I started to count and they lasted 1min every 5min; We called my OB and he went to check me out...I was 3cm!
I couldn't go to the hospital until I was 5 or 6 cm, So we had to wait.
At this point I was in real pain and I started to cry because I was anxious and scared but happy at the same time! I almost gave up to my natural birth but my mom reminded me that I really wanted to have a natural partum so I men up and did my breathing exercises until I fell asleep. I have no idea how I could fell asleep at that time but I DID! I remember havig contractions in my sleep but I just breath through them and thats it, like it was nothing!
4 hours later I woke up and the contractions started to be more painful to the extent that I couldn't do anything to cope with them. We filled the tub with warm water and I took a shower but I was literally screaming (through a clean towel) I puked and had diarrhea (YES! That can happen and you have to deal with it) It was time for me to go to the hospital.
The contractions were extremely painful because I was 6cm already; I remember the pain but I also remember the joy and the excitement of the waiting of my baby girl; We were crying and even laughing every time we could.
At the moment I arrived to the hospital I recieved the epidural and a dosage of pitosin, they also broke my water (because it never broke by itself) Finally the pain was gone and seriously was the best thing I could ever had! (After that I never felt any pain at all)
An hour later of pictures, jokes, laughs and what not my OB came in and checked me out...I was 8cm! It was really fast and they thought they stopped my labor with the epidural (because I had no pain at all) but the true was that my baby was almost here!
The doctor told me to do a couple of pushes and 10min later he said:STOP! We rushed to the delivery room (even my husband was literally changing his clothes through the hallway) because we had no time!
They told me not to push but at this point I couldn't help it...I was pushing! We were going down the elevator and I remember having this peace in me and I felt really happy that made everything so worth it.
In the delivery room was my OB, the anestesiologyst, my husband and a nurse (the pediatrician came in later) Everyone was ready so I started to push...with the first two pushes the head came out (and my doctor helped me to stand to see a little bit) I pushed two more times and she was out!
Her crying was really cute and soft, all I wanted to do was to see her and have her in my arms but first the pediatrician check her out and everything was fine. They put her in my arms and we fell in love with her right away!
In the meantime I was expelling the placenta and getting stiched (I had an ephysiotomy) but I never felt anything because I was busy watching my sweet little monkey!
We named her ALINA and we couldn't be more happy!





Alina Cantero Carrillo
Born in July 3, 2013
3.300kg
49cm


NEXT BLOG: Delivery Recovery and My Near Death Experience

No comments:

Post a Comment